Thursday, November 10, 2005

Word of the Week Nov. 7-10

Cineaste - a movie enthusiast or a person involved in filmmaking
Illustrative - acting or serving as an illistration
Ensorcellment - (noun) enchanter, bewhitcher
Luddite - one who opposes technical or technological change. Most specifically, any of group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in a belief that such amchinery would dimish employment.


Wow - Great words this week! I don't hardly know how to pick because I love them all! But pick I will.

The word of the week is:


luddite
  • Luddite can be used as a noun or an adjective.
  • The word's orgins might be from Ned Ludd who was an 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed machinary.
  • When Henry walked into the office, he saw that a luddite had been there. All the computers had been smashed and put in trashcans; only pen and paper sat in their place.

7 comments:

Scarlet Panda said...

Awesome word, awesome origin. Hats off to you for selecting it and to fishfrog for submitting it.

Fishfrog said...

That's two weeks in a row that my word was picked. I rule!

Anonymous said...

This sucks! You people are conspiring against me! BTW I really like the word consortium. Its fun say.

Squishy Burrito said...

Just wait. I found the winner last night in the book I'm reading. Fishfrog, you are going down.

Amanda G. said...

FishFrog I would not let this go to your head to much. For all we know the monkey is the one who submitted the word.

Scarlet Panda said...

If it helps take fishfrog down, I will take some of the credit for "luddite." Fishfrog and I were in waiting for tax class to start when we got to talking about warmfuzzy's blog. He said he thought that she drew her little pictures using a computer program. I said I thought she drew them by hand, "because she's a bit of a luddite." Then he decided to submit the word.

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a conspiracy...