Wednesday, July 12, 2006

stream of conciousness blog post

Man, oh man, I wish it would just pour down rain already. I can't stand the overcast sky and the spittle that it is sending our way today. Also, I am by myself at work today, which has sent my productivity down the tubes. Fortunately, I have a pile of work that is mindless enough that I can do it in front on the TV, and I will therefore be watching Guiding Light in 35 short minutes. Tonight I plan to bake cookies and watch - you guessed it- an episode of Angel. I also want to rent the first Pirates of the Carribean movie in preparation for seeing the second one, but I know I'll have to watch it while Panda is away, and I'm not sure what she's doing tonight. In other news, I heard the author of this book talking on St. Louis on the Air and now I want to read it. I wonder if the library has it...Hopefully the weather will be nicer tomorrow and I can walk to the library or bookstore and pick it up. I also need to go grocery shopping. Yesterday I went on a pitstop to the store and picked up some peaches. The last time I got peaches, I did not enjoy them, but it was primarily becuase they were not ripe enough. This time, I still did not enjoy them - they were too ripe. Peaches. They are a troublesome fruit. Stawberries, on the otherhand, are almost always good. Man, I love strawberries. Nell served stawberries last night and they were perfectly ripe. I also love watermelon, apples, oranges, pears (which, like peaches have small window of ripy-goodness), pineapple, and cantelope. I hate muss-melon -- no thankyou! Moving from thirst quenching fruit to thirst quenching water... I am supposed to drink 64oz of water a day, as we all are. Since I drink about 24oz of fluid daily (usually in soda form), this is a difficult goal for me. I have my trusty nagine bottle on my desk and I am not yet finished with my first jug. I've a long way to go. As I look at my nalgine bottle I am reminded about my Montana trip at the end of this month (there is a missoula sticker stuck to the side), and I am so very excited! Our reservation to whitewater raft in Glacier Park was just confirmed and we will go on a 1/2 ride down the river. Since it will be August, the rapids might not be as rough as they would have been earlier in the season, but I've no doubt that it's going to kick ass. Even if there were no rapids and were were just drifting down the current, the view of Glacier would be enough to satisfy me. I cannot wait! Well, I seriously doubt anyone is still reading this, and I need to return some calls before working on my pile and watching GL, so this post is over.

6 comments:

Matt said...

I really like stream of consciousness blog posts. I heard of this book 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of St. Louis, and I wanted to mention it to you cos it really seems to be up your and SP's alley.

Also and very incidentally, my dad once had a peach tree growing in the yard. It is a very fond memory for me, peeling a still-warm peach plucked that day and cutting it from the stone. It was messy and altogether like pulled pork, but fruitier. Really delicious, melt in the mouth, sweet, juicy, etc.

My dad grew and still grows strawberries and raspberries, great dessert-y fruit. He also grew/grows tomatoes, but I defy anyone to enjoy a tomato cobbler.

Amanda G. said...

you are right, that book is up SP's and my alley - we already own it!

Where does you dad grow his starwberries adn rasberries? In his backyard? I tried to grow strawberries once, but it didn't pan out. I did successfully grow tomatoes once. I can't wait to have yard and garden!

Matt said...

When I was growing up, my dad had set aside a couple of plots on either side of the backyard for growing fruits and veggies. We had zucchini, grapes (for an ill-fated winemaking experiment), sugar snap peas, green beans, potatoes, asparagus, and probably a million other things I've forgotten.

Were you growing at your parents place when you did the tomatoes and the strawberries?

Squishy Burrito said...

We own Pirates if you want to borrow it.

Anonymous said...

With reference to the complaining about water intake: You know, Jemima, the recommended amount of water that one should consume daily is one ounce per pound of body weight. Seriously!! I consider myself to be an authority on water intake since I live in PHOENIX! :P The local news chants that water intake stat every freaking newscast. According to the digital therm, the outside temp right now (5:40pm) is 108 degrees. Shiiiiit.

Amanda G. said...

squishy - thanks for the offer, but I already borrowed it from my co-worker. Pirates is her husbands favorite movie of all time.

matt - yes, at my parents. I did pot gardening. I had the no-go strawberries, tomatoes and green peppers. My green peppers didn't get very big, but they were cute.

anonymous/POXY!!! - How the hell are ya? I don't think you heard the story about why I'm so obsessed with comsuming water lately...I'll have to fill you in. PS- if you go back to may, there is a whole post about Arizona.