Sunday, December 01, 2013

my rant about those who rant about "happy holidays" greetings.

Before I start seeing all the "keep Christ in Christmas" Facebook
posts (and likes) chastising anyone who would dare say Happy Holidays, I urge you to remember that Christmas is not the only holiday being celebrated right now*. Let me say that again: Christmas is not the only holiday being celebrated right now.

 People who get bent out of shape over someone saying "Happy Holidays" because it is somehow taking "Christ out of Christmas" baffle me.  I just don't get how someone wishing me well takes Christ away.  Did that greeting make it impossible for me to reflect, pray, or prepare for the coming of Christ in some way? Did that greeting shut the doors to my church? I'm pretty sure that isn't how it works.

Further, those who make the assertion that "Happy Holidays" is so horrible, seem to be ignoring Christ's message of tolerance, peace and love by refusing to gracefully accept that other's offer of good will.

I routinely say "Happy Holidays," "Merry Christmas, " or "Happy Hanukkah" depending on who I'm talking to or how they greet me. I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but if you wish me a happy one, I say "right back atcha, dude." Whatever the words, the message is the same: "Peace and good will to you, my friend."  That's what all those things mean. The rest is semantics. How is Christ ever taken out of that?

So, if someone says "Happy Holidays" to you, instead of taking that as a personal affront to you and your God, choose a kinder assumption that the person is simply wishing you well regardless of the holiday you celebrate during this time, and wish them well in whatever way you think is appropriate.

*Some other holidays being celebrated during the Nov-Jan holiday season:

  • Thanksgiving
  • Hanukkah 
  • Winter Solstice
  • Soyal
  • Ashura
  • Bohdi Day
  • Kwanza
  • New Year's

No comments: