Saturday, October 14, 2006

Something I never thought I'd say:

Grand Theft Auto is totally awesome!

Last night Panda and I borrowed PS2 from a friend & he included Grand Theft auto in the bag of games. I was not hip to play this game, what with all the violence and misogyny, but Panda insisted. It turns out, the game is pretty fun. It's totally inappropriate for kids & I'm opposed to it in every way, but damn! if it isn't fun. If you want a car, you just pull a driver out of his and get in! When you shoot at people, they run away screaming and it is really funny. Panda found out that you do not beat up old ladies 'cuz they will beat your ass down until you are dead.

How did this game get made? For all that is holy DO NOT buy this game thereby giving the creaters any money, but DO borrow it from a friend and play it.

4 comments:

Scarlet Panda said...

In other games, when I get frustrated because I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, I just wander around aimlessly, bored. In this game, when I get frustrated, I can entertain myself by getting out of the car and beating random pedestrians with a baseball bat. It is awesome.

Matt said...

And you've hit upon the reason that the game's generally considered revolutionary. GTA3 presents an environment where the player gets the most enjoyment out of wandering around the environment, doing whatever strikes the player's fancy. The missions and storyline are secondary to this ambient fun.

I mean, it's fairly entertaining in GTA3 to drive around town listening to the radio. Which seems odd. For all the hooker-killing headline hooplah, it's the freedom in the environment that the games community notes.

Amanda G. said...

I dont really think the hooker-killing headline is hooplah. The game could have the same freedome of environment w/o the offensive language and hooker action. Even so, I enjoy the game.

Anonymous said...

I’m with you fuzzy blog author.
I love GTA, and the roaming experience you can have, and how you eventually know every shortcut and back alley as you explore the city. But I would like a similar game without the uzis and the drivebys. I want to play a game where you’re not supposed to accomplish anything. Just hang around and find cool spots for fishing or helping your virtual neighbour harvesting her carrots. That’s how I want to play the sandbox genre.

GTA’s makers have just published their next game “Bully”, which I cannot wait to get my hand on.

Can I borrow it from any of you guys?

~p