Saturday, March 25, 2006

Standing the Test of Time

I love the oldies and I'm not afraid to say it! In highschool the oldies station was number 1 on my "preset" and I listened to it every day on my way home from school. I just can't get enough of them. Well, with my new iPOD I find that I listen to the radio less and less when I'm in my car, and I miss my oldies. So, the other night I put some of my favorite olidies on Cooper. I got some Peter Paul and Mary, some Hermen's Hermits, and some Turtles. I also put on a few songs by the totally awesome Sam Cooke. All of his songs are great, but a couple of my favorites are Another Saturday Night, Only Sixteen and Cupid. He has alot of other popular songs (Chain Gang, Wonderful World, Twistin' the Night Away....). If you don't have music by him, you are missing out. NPR has had several stories about him, and if you haven't heard them I suggest you check them out. The link takes you to one story, and you can acces the others from there.

6 comments:

MaK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fishfrog said...

Herman's Hermits, "Mrs. Brown" = Greatest sing ever!

Fishfrog said...

N.B. replace "sing" w/ "song"

Matt said...

It is an awesome song. Before I re-found my mp3 player (which is 64 megabytes of sheer power, sadly unnamed), I often listened to KLOU 103 (I assume that's the one you're talking about). I loved that station because it had a lot of music, and usually pretty varied, too. I mean, you could hear straightforward rock and roll, but also soul and the like. Any station where I run the risk of hearing a Beatles song is a good station in my book.

Now I listen to the 10-11 songs I can fit on my dealie. Or I put Howard Stern on it. Either way, I'm totally rocking late-20th century technology, man.

Amanda G. said...

KL0U 103 is a great station. They have a few too many commercials for my liking, but they're playlists are great.

Fishfrog said...

Nell and I stumbled across 103 the other day. Great station. It took me back to high school, driving around in my mom's manual-transmission minivan, rocking out to KOOL 105.1 in Denver. Singing along with the Dave Clark Five, the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Lovin' Spoonful and the like. Those were good times, back when the future was wide open and nothing could stand in our way.