Monday, March 13, 2006

A Great Book

Some of you may know that I took a creative writing/comp class this term. I enjoy writing and editing work in a writing workshop format, so I looked forward to this class. My group was great to work with and we all grew as writers over the eight week course. My professor, however, left little to be desired. He is the sort of professor that reads his own works aloud to the class so we can “oooh” and “awww” at his genius, who asks a question so that he can to hear himself answer it, and who skims the stories you hand in instead of actually critiquing them. I did not especially care for my professor's teaching style, but I don't think he was a bad guy and he clearly loves the craft of writing; he simply did not live up to my expectations.

Still, I enjoyed the class and spent a great deal more time on it than I have in any other class in my Masters Program to date. On the last day of class, he read to us, not one of his pieces, but a wonderful book by Sharon Creech called Love That Dog. The intended audience is children aged 8-12, but I think it can be appreciated by anyone, certainly by anyone with a love for reading, writing, poetry and/or dogs. If you go to Sharon Creech's website you can read a chapter of the short book or hear an excerpt read. I highly recommend it, or better yet - go to the library/bookstore and read it. Better still, go the library/bookstore and have someone read it to you. It is a short book and one that is meant to be read aloud.

No comments: