Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Twin Peaks Season 2!

It's finally available! YAY!!!

As you all may know, this is my favorite show of all time. I've been waiting for years for season 2 to come out on DVD, and had all but given up hope. I can't believe it's actually happening!

The network didn't allow Lynch to do the show they way he intended (he did not intend to reveal the killer of Lara Palmer, but ABC insisted), so season 2 strayed from his vision. Consequently, many people don't like season 2 as much as season 1 (David Lynch was away doing another project for much of it). I never fell into that camp, and while I can identify differences in the two seasons, I don't think season 2 is inferior; it is still a solid season, full of mystery, quirkiness, and my favorite townspeople. And Lynch was certainly not absent: he wrote and directed the first episode of season 2, and directed the 1st, 2nd, 7th, and last episode. He also appears in several of the episodes as Agent Cooper's boss. In fact, he only directed 2 episodes in season one (including the pilot) and wrote the pilot and episode one, totalling 6 episodes total that he directed, although he was very hands-on during season 1 and directed all the crucial episodes.

Mark Frost, who gets not props, as far as I'm concerned, for this show wrote 11 episodes. He and Lynch created the show together, and I think their collaboration is what made this show the gem that it is. It is important to note that Lynch gives Mark Frost props, and just that some Lynchians don't give him his due if you ask me.

Additionally, I have a certain nostalgia for the last season, probably because when we saw the cancellation writing on the wall Panda and I started recording the remaining episodes of Twin Peaks. At this point there were 6 episodes left, and we labeled the tape, "The Beginning of the End: The last 6 Episodes." Also, Billy Zane appears in season 2 as an environmental activist lawyer, and I was totally in love with him (as you can imagine). Subsequently, I watched these 6 episodes over and over and over again because they were all I had for years, and I know them better than the rest of the series. I'm excited for Season 2 to complete my set! Whoo-hoo!
This blog post brought to you by "TV Tuesdays"

No comments: