Tuesday, September 12, 2006

bee in my bonnet

My co-workers made fun of me the other day because I said I had a "bee in my bonnet" about something or other. This led to a conversation about other sayings we hear each other use...okay, so it was more them spouting out things I say that are (according to them) silly or outdated, most notably: "ducks in a row," "...say 'boo' about," and "...running around like a chicken with its head cut off." When they finished having a good chuckle at my expense, I went back to work.

I like idioms and learning their origins and this got me to thinking: I am not the only one who uses idioms in daily conversation, and I'd like to hear some of your favorite idioms. These could be sayings you find yourself using or that you've noticed in other's speech.

This blog post brough to you by "Wordy Wednesday: Early Edition"

6 comments:

Amanda G. said...

I have had TMBG's Birdhouse in your Soul in my head since posting this post last night.

Not to put to fine a point on it
say I'm the only bee in you bonnet.
Make a little birdhouse with your soul

Scarlet Panda said...

I was talking to someone yesterday, I think fishfrog, and he used an expression that made me say, "What are you, my grandmother?" But I can't remember what it was, and I'm not even 100% sure it was fishfrog.

Fishfrog said...

It was me. And I said "mercy" in regards to something.

Nell said...

I heard, or actually read, someone say 'I'm just joshing you' the other day.

I tend to say things like 'okee dokee pokee' or 'easy peasy lemon squeezy.' Do those count?

Anonymous said...

How 'bout "heavens to Betsy and all her sisters?"

Pretty lame, but it usually gets a look or two.

Amanda G. said...

yay for quiant little sayings! :)