Monday, February 06, 2006

Oscar needs some prozac

Some movies make you laugh, cry, scream, get angry, or feel hopeful. Some take you on an experience – let you safely leap out of yourself and your comfort zone to enter a new world. Others make people challenge their assumptions or to bring something horrific to light. Great movies can do a combination of those things.

Sadly, however, it seems more credence is given to a movie that is emotionally powerful yet would never tempt the audience into a second viewing than to a movie that, though perhaps powerful in its own right, conjures up feelings of joy or laughter rather than pain and heart-ache.

I truely believe movies have many purposes and should not all be enjoyable to watch. We should not, however, forget about the enjoyment factor when rating a movie for best picture. For me, this type of movie should be given props for what they often do well - outstanding performances, cinematography or directing credits. Far too often, however they are picked for best picture because of the initial "wow" factor. Meanwhile, comedic or sweeter movies are overlooked. It seems to me that Oscar may have fallen prey to this way of thinking when he nominated this year’s best film picks. What do you think?– comments welcome.

This year’s nominations:
Brookeback Mountain
– I thought this was good movie. It was visually pleasing and the music set the mood of the movie perfectly. Still, I cannot imagine ever wanted to see it again.
Crash – as much as I love Don Cheadle, and man do I love him, I could not love this movie. To me, this movie is one that should be made and should be seen, but it is not enjoyable, and it is not a great film. I felt like it was meant to be a call to action piece, but it left my soul drained of all its hope for a better world that I was compelled to do nothing but wallow. Maybe it got to racists and made them realize that racism and prejudice is a vicious cycle, and if so, then that is a good thing, but not enough to make it best picture. Ellen really loves this movie – Ellen, what am I missing?
Capote – I can’t say because I haven’t seen it yet. I really want to see this movie.
Good Night and Good Luck – see Capote, but change "really" to "totally".
Munich – I have absolutely no desire to see this movie. If anyone has seen it, please tell us about it. From what I’ve heard about it, it is extremely powerful and thought-provoking.

6 comments:

Squishy Burrito said...

i agree. how many movies are overlooked because the main character isn't going through incredible turmoil. erg!!

Scarlet Panda said...

Capote is great, but it's not exactly a feelgood film either. I can't imagine seeing it again. You make an interesting point.

Fishfrog said...

As a huge fan of romantic comedies and straight-up comedies, I feel your pain. It always seems like the dark or sad or depressing movies get the best picture nomination. Where is 40 Year Old Virgin in this years Oscar nominations??????? That was the best movie EVER!!!!!! It was lightyears better than Brokeback, at any rate.

Unknown said...

Personally I think the greatest films are the most emotionally powerful. These are the movies that stay with you long after you've seen them, and you don't need a second viewing to remember them. Oftentimes, it is because they are difficult to watch that they do not encourage second viewings.

I think comedic fares are usually light-hearted and while some are outstanding, they are easily forgettable so you can indeed watch these over and over and still attain what you sought for the first time around: pure entertainment.

Most people prefer to be entertained. I prefer to be deeply moved and even shaken.

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt said...

Comedies traditionally get looked over, which is a shame. 40 Year Old is such a good movie, and I think that it has much of the power of a serious movie. Its subject matter is pretty serious, in that it has a lot of respect for its characters - they're real people with real issues.

Plus, comedies are so hard to do well, that to make a good comedy is such an exercise of filmmaking excellence that deserves the respect and attention of the Academy.