Monday, January 23, 2006

Word of the Week!

Thank you to our Word Box contributors! Here are the words in our Word Box:

Ennui – Listlessness and dissatisfaction resulting from lack of interest; boredom; the feeling of being board by something tedious. My life is filled with ennui.
Tidbit: I was going to relay the history of the word, but in learning about it I became so filled with ennui that I did not continue.
Fecund – Capable of producing offspring or vegetation; fruitful. Also: marked by intellectual productivity.
Is – Third person singular present indicative of be. Sometimes it is best to get back to basics.
Paragon – A model of excellence or perfection of a kind; a peerless example.
Priapism – Persistent, usually painful erection of the penis, especially as a consequence of disease and not related to sexual arousal.
Tidbit: The Greek god of gardens and fertility was named Priapus. He was the son of Aphrodite, who disowned him because he had a grotesque little body with a huge penis. He was a member of the retinue (followers, attendants) of the god Dionysus and chased after nymphs.

Great words! Still, there can only be one winner. This week's Word of the Week is:
Ennui

1 comment:

Fishfrog said...

I'm pleased my word was chosen but I'm not at all pleased that I have experienced a hefty dose of ennui as of late.