Monday, January 09, 2006

Views on Deafness & Cochlears

A lot has been discussed lately on the subject of Deafness in my personal blogosphere. So, I thought I’d join in. You might find it interesting to check out Matt’s post here and FishFrog’s post here if you haven’t already. I think FishFrog's post here could also be considered related. This will be in two posts. First – the issue of Deaf Culture and Cochlear Implants & my vies. Secondly, what I think a good plan of action for parents of deaf children looks like.

I have been fortunate enough to learn American Sign Language from native signers and to learn about Deaf culture through readings, classes, and personal experiences while teaching and socializing with Deaf people. Because of these experiences I have a great respect for the Deaf Culture. Like any culture, there are many differences and differing viewpoints on a variety of subjects within the Deaf Culture. Whenever talking about other cultures we must recognize the existence of these differences and also remember that no culture is wholly good or bad, right or wrong. They just are.

Both my experiences and my knowledge of deaf history have shaped my views on the subject of Cochlear Implants. I see both the positives and the negatives that Implants can offer. I only hope the technology continues to get better so enrich the lives of those who would prefer to hear. CI can be a godsend to those who want them. It is also important to understand that not everyone wants them, and to the validity of their views and the controversy that surrounds Implants.

Many within the Deaf Culture see Implants as a form of cultural genocide. The mainstream society is once again belittling and discrediting their language and way of life. To fully appreciate this view point, I believe you must understand the history of Deaf Education from the last 150 years or so. In the 1850s Deaf schools with Deaf teachers who used a manual language (signing) for instruction were abundant. It was in about the 1880s that the man push for Oralism (speech and speech reading) came about from well-intentioned people who thought that Deaf people would be better off being as close to hearing as possible. Teachers were fired, children were punished for using sign language, and strict oralism was implemented across the country. Although most oral institutions today admit the benefits of signing, only very recently have these oral schools allowed any signing at all. I actually know a teacher who comes from the oral philosophy, but left a prominent oral institution in the area because she was disgusted that the children were reprimanded for trying to sign.
For years, doctors have told parents that any signing at all will hinder a child’s ability to learn English. Although most now acknowledge that this is not the case, many people still believe this. It is funny to me that we teach our hearing babies signs to foster their language development, but we keep sign language away from children who are deaf as long as possible.

For a complete history, I recommend Harlan Lane’s Mask of Benevolence. It is a great book that not only details the manual and oralist movements, but also brings to light different modes of technology over the years used to “cure” deafness, and the proposed practice of not allowing people who were deaf to have children. It is within this context that you can begin to realize why the Deaf Community feels the way they do. You might also check out Journey into a Deaf-World and When the Mind Hears also by Harlen Lane.

My main problems with Implants are twofold. The implants themselves and the mindset (I’m going to continue to call it Oralist b/c to me Implants are simply a tool for the oralist philosophy) that no one would want to be Deaf, that it is child abuse not to implant your child. In my opinion, people who say this, like many, do not know the greatness the Deaf Community has to offer or the risks and inconveniences that Implants offer.

Firstly, the risks/negatives: These risks range from the dangerous (meningitis) to daily annoyances (setting off theft alarms at department stores). The FDA has a list of benefits and risks here. Personally, I am not convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks. Once these “cons” are addressed and fixed, I would change my views on the technology itself.

Secondly, the mindset: In my experience, the mindset that assimilating into the mainstream hearing culture is the only way for Deaf people to have a good quality of life leads well-intentioned doctors, educators, and social workers to push the oralism and CI. Parents all too often are not given all the options. I have interviewed coordinators for First Steps and they admit that they do not give parents information on signing or resources to get in touch with Deaf adults and associations. They do not give information about signing classes for hearing parents of deaf children, deaf baby-sitting information, or anything. They do give them lots of information on Cochlear Implants and information about the many private oral schools here in the area. Throughout history, this disregard for the Deaf culture has been common practice to the detriment of the children these doctors and professionals profess to serve. If you read any of those books I mentioned, you will hear recounts of doctor visits, etc.

This is what people have a hard time understanding: Scores of Deaf people have no desire to ever hear a sound. Many do not use their hearing aids because they find the noise annoying. Many deaf people enjoy music – just not in the same way that most hearing people do.

So this brings us to what you should do if you have a deaf child. Get a cochlear implant? Maybe. Maybe not. Technology is getting better and each parent has to make that decision. I do not believe, however, that parents can make an informed decision if they have no understanding of the Deaf Culture. I believe they must talk to members of the Deaf Community about their experiences and then make the best decision they can for their child. Regardless, I believe all children who are Deaf should be given the chance to learn their natural language – manual language (in the US, American Sign Language).

3 comments:

Scott Fulton said...

Some interesting reading. We have an 11 month old son who was born profoundly deaf. He has very slight hearing with the use of hearing aids, however they do not provide enough (it is thought) for him to develop speech.

In light of this he has begun assessment for an implant. We are due to meet the surgeon who performs the operation next week for an initial discussion. MRI scans will follow in March to see if they think he would actually benefit from an implant.

We have had visits from members of the deaf community and spoken to parents of children with implants. It is such a hard decision to make and we wish we could ask our son what he would like. Of course this is not possible. I've bookmarked this page and the link you have posted for my wife to read.

I suppose we are currently leaning towards the implant route, but there is still a lot to consider.

Thank you.

Amanda G. said...

Thank your for sharing your story, and I hope you find the links helpful. Good luck to you and your son.

Matt said...

Neat post. I know that we disagree on the subject, but your knowledge of the issue and empathy for the community are both commendable.

I would say that I think it's possible to support that the implants are the better choice without asserting that assimilation is the only choice for a deaf person to lead a fulfilling life.

For my own part, I don't think that implants are the only way for a person to lead a happy life and I certainly don't support punishing deaf kids for trying to sign, a practice which sounds perverse.

I identify with the grandparents in Sound and Fury, who are very kind, loving people, who adored their deaf kid, but strongly favored implants for the grandkid.