Saturday, June 01, 2013

half-marathon training, part 2: feet meet pavement

Half Marathon Date: Oct 27, 2013
Training Day 1: June 1, 2013

I've decided to go back to the run/walk method because it's been over a year since I could run even a mile without walking. So really, it wasn't a choice, but I think it is a good strategy all the same. The point of today's training was two fold:
  1. to actually start running again rather than just talk about running again.
  2. to get a realistic idea of where my starting point actually is.
Luckily I already have good running clothes and my shoes are still in good condition (and are the ones I had fitted for me when I was running).  With those things working for me, I set out on my run. I'm calling day 1 an amazing success because:
  1. I actually did it, even though the weather was kind of bad.
  2. Holy crap! By running and walking, not only did I complete a 5K (something I thought I'd have to re-work up to), but I did it with my personal best time!
Now I know what you are tsk-tsking... did I over train? Push myself too hard in an over-zealous attempt to prove myself? No, I really did not. I never felt like I was over-doing it, and I did let my body taper off towards the end to cool down and do some stretches.

Despite looking like this, I felt good!


Stats:
Mile 1- 11:52
Mile 2- 12:57
Mile 3-  13.37
Pace- 13:17
Type- run/walk combo
Terrain- neighborhood/pavement

**I used the running app "Map My Run" to keep track of this information. I love it. It tracks your route, tells you climb, speed, etc. It cuts into my music every mile to update me on distance and pace. Very cool. I highly recommend it.

No comments: