Friday, May 31, 2013

irony defined

Yesterday I went on search for this book to help me create healthy meals during my training. Although it is available on Amazon, I took to the book store because I both want it now and  prefer shopping in person.

I hit up a used bookstore & this was the exchange I had with the owner:

Him: Can I help you find something?
Me: Oh, no thanks. I was just looking for a specific book on running; you didn't have it.
Him: Yeah, we don't carry that sort of thing.
Me: Yep; there were only about 5 running books. It's okay; I knew it was a long shot.
Him: You know, you can get pretty much anything on-line these days; you should try there.
Me:  Yeah; it is available on Amazon; I'd just rather give my business to actual stores.
Him: Sometimes the internet is just easier though.
Me: I guess I'm just old fashioned. Thanks!

So, was this proprietor of a used bookstore actually advocating that I have not come into his store at all? That instead of trying to buy books in a brick and mortar store I just start with Amazon, his main source of competition? Really?

Although they did not have the book I was looking for the do have HUNDREDS of books; books that I (as a reader) started perusing. That's what readers do. That's why we like books stores. That's how books stores stay in business. The 2 B&N stores I ultimately visited didn't have this book, and yet I left each store with a book. I would have likely left his store with a book had he not shooed me away.

As it was, I left the store completely baffled. The only thing I can come up with the explain his behavior is that I smell. I must smell. Right?


No comments: