Wednesday, May 22, 2013

on your mark! get set! go!

A couple years ago I became super obsessed with running. I was not fast, but I was dedicated. Within a few weeks I ran my first 5K, and I routinely ran several days a week, usually 2-3 miles a day & 6 miles on Sundays. I was obsessed with going farther, and even though I ran 15 minute miles, I was happy; I felt good. There was a cool meditative feeling to getting lost in a long run.

Then a heat wave hit.

I stopped running. I stopped going outside at all, actually. It was brutal.

The following fall I tried recapturing the joy I once felt. I just couldn't do it. Working my way back up to a mile was such a chore, and the thrill was gone.  I kept at it, however, because I was signed up for the Warrior Dash. By the time of the dash, I'd gotten back up to being able to run a 5K (barely), but had only run on fairly even terrain, so I quickly petered out on the hilly course of the event.  I happily walked the remainder of the course (which I can do as fast as I can run, give or take 30 seconds/mile), and I managed to do the awesome obstacles at the event.

After that, I pretty much hung up my running shoes, and never looked back.

Suffice it to say, I've lately started to look longingly at those running shoes. I loved it so much, why did I quit? Why did I let the hard work of building up my stamina again keep me from getting back to what I (ever so briefly) loved with a passion? So, I've decided I need a challenge; a goal. There is a 1/2 marathon in my city in late October. If I was running 6 miles straight after a 6 weeks before, I can certainly get to 13.1 after 6 months, right?

Right?

I think so, too.

And so, my running regime begins! Wish me luck.

No comments: