Monday, June 10, 2013

after months of hoarding recipes on pinterest, i'm actually trying one out

Today I tried out The Burlap Bag's oat banana cookies as seen on Pinterest.

Ingredients:
2 bananas
1 cup quick oats.
Optional: ch. chips, nuts, etc...

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients (mashing up banana), put on cookie sheet in cookie form, and bake for 15 minutes.


I had one banana and rolled oats (which are the same as quick oats, only not crushed up), so I made a half order. In the comments several people said to add vanilla. Yes, of course that will make these better, but  I added the chocolate chips (yes, I had to), I opted not to add more calories and sugar that (hopefully) isn't necessary. 

Oh my god, these are baking right now, and the smell so freaking good!



They are out of the oven, and cooled & tasted!  I would give this a solid C+ rating, but think it could be an A with alterations.

Overall, this is a super easy and quick way to use up those bananas (I always seem to have one I can't get to in time) that is less of a production than baking bread & doesn't use flour. The flavor was appealing, but the consistency was a bit of a turn-off. Because I used rolled oats, I think the banana mush had too little to mix with & as a result these are a big ball of mush and oats. If I chopped the oats, I don't think I would have this problem. Additionally, the chocolate chips did nothing for me. Next time, I would skip those and just add a pinch of cinnamon (maybe a dash of vanilla).  If you like walnuts (I don't), they would compliment this well. 

Next Up: Greek yogurt pancakes & crock-pot chicken teriyaki

No comments: