Monday, June 09, 2008

a swing and a miss

A couple of my friends play on a co-ed softball team, and occasionally they ask me to sub in for someone to avoid forfeiting a game. As I am a good friend, I am always happy to oblige. Happy, but not without some trepidation because I haven't played softball in 20 years. Last night was the second time I played for them; I play catcher because that way I don't actually have to catch the ball (I'm required to let the pitched ball bounce). Last night I was happy because I actually threw the ball as far as the pitcher's mound (well, almost).

When it was my turn to bat, I trotted up to the plate. I was feeling pretty good because last game I swung thrice, hitting the ball every time. Last night, however, all my swings were ill-timed and ill-advised. At my second time up to bat, the other team's catcher actually asked me, "Have you ever played softball before?" I was flabbergasted! We're playing on a recreational softball team! I could not believe she asked that. It's fine for me to be self-deprecating about by softball skillz, but the other team? My response: "Not since the 4th grade."

No comments: