Monday, October 29, 2007

one day someone will call me...

macushla - a term of endearment (from the Irish words "mo" and "cuisle" meaning "my" and "pulse" respectively).

I came across this word in a book I recently bought from the used bookstore that has a bunch of words that have all but died out from the English language. This word should not die. It is very sweet and pretty. I love it so much that I've been trying to find a way to introduce it into my daily vocabulary, but sadly I don't have a macushla to call my own. Yesterday, as I watched The Office, Micheal greeted Pam as his "macushla." Apparently, this word is also used in Million Dollar baby. Clearly it is not as uncommon as I thought, and to that I say, "horay! for it is an awesome word!"

This blog post brought to you by "she actually blogging again! day" and the book, Weird and Wonderful Words, by Erin McKean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's not quite as fun, but i think this is a sufficient substitute for the word box. i want to read this book you got because i love weird uncommon words!