Monday, October 31, 2005

The Great Pepper Debate


The other night, I was at our friendly neighborhood Blackthorn eating pizza with my buds. We ordered a delicious green pepper, tomato, and garlic pizza thus spawning a discussion about bell peppers. We all agreed that red peppers pretty much rule over green peppers in the taste department. What we couldn't agree on was where green peppers end up when they mature. He who prefers to remain nameless (we'll call him Y.) said that green peppers were merely immature red peppers and if given the opportunity, would become the tastey red peppers that we all know and love. Scarlet Panda, Superelectirc, and I thought this was ridiculous because while both are bell peppers, they are completely different. So convinced that he was right, Y. bet me $5.oo and said I could blog about it.

Since that fatefull night, I've done some research. Preliminary findings indicate that Y is correct: Green bell peppers are simply immature red peppers. On the vine, they can ripen to yellow, orange, purple, and ultimately will ripen to red peppers. Red peppers have higher levels of nutrients such as vitiman A, C, and Calcium than their non-red counterparts.

Unless someone
can provide evidence to the contrary, it looks as though I am out 5 bucks and my dignity. Faced with little alternative, I am willing to admit I'm wrong, but I would like to bring Scarlet Panda and Superelectric down with me.

1 comment:

Amanda G. said...

whoa, crucnietoast, you have come to us like a light in the darkness. This is very interesting. Very interesting indeed!