Thursday, June 29, 2006

Hobbies R Us

There are many hobbies that I feel I would be good at and enjoy if only I would turn off the TV long enough to learn them. Unfortunately, many of my perspective hobbies result in my spending too much money on things that end up collecting dust in my room (kayak, anyone?). I have had some luck, however, bead jewelry-making was good while it lasted, backpacking stuck, and I like to think of movie watching as a hobby.

Recently, I’ve gotten back into biking, and I love it. When I first biked, I did so for transportation, but when I moved back to St. Louis the cars, four-lane roads, and extremely long distances from place to place prompted me to hang up my bike helmet and put on my safety belt. A couple of months ago I went biking with some friends and was reminded by how much biking kicks walking’s ass. I still do not brave the St. Louis roads, but there are a lot of great trails around here that are enjoyable.

A new hobby I would like to get into is photography. I’ve always loved taking pictures. When I went to six grade camp I took an entire role of pictures of gravestones. Did I have an artistic eye that I never fostered? Was I just some freaky kid who liked gravestones a little too much? My camp consoler thought the latter, but I digress… In the hopes of cultivating this hobby, I have taken Panda’s camera (note the open and notorious way in which I possess it). I took the camera up to the farm this weekend, but because I had no manual and don't actually know how to focus, having alway has auto-focusing cameras, I shutter to think what will come back from the developers. I have a couple of friends who are awesome at photography, one of whom is in photography school, so (hint, hint) maybe he will show me some tricks of the trade.

So, those are just a couple of the many hobbies that I would like to develop. I would also like to learn to play a second chord on my guitar, be able to identify birds, and crochet. Now that my summer classes are all but over, maybe I’ll take the time to enjoy some of these hobbies. Sadly, it is much more likely that I will plop in front of the TV and just finish watching Angel on DVD.

4 comments:

Squishy Burrito said...

knitting or crocheting is a great addition to tv watching. i never feel as guilty for a night of my favourite shows when i combine it with yarn and needles.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh you made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I would like nothing more than to have a photography buddy. I even have a few cameras you can use when we go out and take some pic's. I would love to see your pictures from the Farm and if you still have your grave yard shots too.

Amanda G. said...

that would be totally cool, anonymousB. I don't know that you really want to see my grave yard pics though, I was 11 and they were taken with my totally rad red and black 110mm camera.

Nell said...

I love taking pictures too but I've never been great at it. I've found that for amature picture taking digital cameras are much easier to use. You don't have to worry about the aperture or shutter speed and you can see the picture right after you've taken it. There's nothing worse than taking a role of pictures that you think are great only to find out a week later that they suck.

Anyway, thats my two cents on the matter. I hope that I haven't rained on your parade. No metter what camera you use its still fun, I'm I'm sure you'll do great!