Friday, January 09, 2009

ms. meanie, reporting for duty...

This morning one of my new kids referred to me as a "Nazi" to another teacher. It's bizarre.* He's never even been in trouble with me (in fact, no one has this semester), and I haven't raised my voice in class once. Okay, so sure, I made three kids cry last semester, but not because I was mean; it was because I told them I believed in them. Does that sound like a Nazi to you?

Admittedly, I've laid down the law and am much more stern this semester, but still I find myself shocked by the fact that all my kids appear to be afraid of me. Afraid. Of me! I don't get it...but I kind of like it.

* And also a bit ironic as I had just given a lecture on hate speech and made clear, in no uncertain terms, that hate speech of any kind would be met with the highest consequences.

1 comment:

Fishfrog said...

WF as a strict disciplinarian teacher? I never would have guessed it. Not in a million years.