Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 in review

I don't usually really sit down and reflect much on each year as it passes, but 2014 was a bit of a doozy, so I feel it warrants some reflection.

In some ways, it was an amazing year that brought me a lot of joy. But it was also a crappy year for many reasons:  loved ones (of mine or of people I love) have passed away, I've felt stagnant in some areas of my life, and I've been reminded that while some friendships grow, others, sadly, dwindle. And all of this was happening against the back drop of our community experiencing tragedy and unrest, filling many with hopelessness and anger.  It's really easy to dwell on the negative, forgetting that I actually have a lot to be thankful for. In an attempt not to forget, here are some of the highs of my year:

  • Winter/Spring:
    • I started a bunch of home improvement projects, these would actually continue through the year. My house definitely feels more "put together," and is a more pleasant place to be. Without the help of my awesome brother, this would not have been possible. He is super cool.
    • Cooper and I had the opportunity to work with a fabulous dog trainer (Tovah) one on one for months. She helped me and my pup so incredibly much; her training has made our lives much happier. 
    • I bought a new bike, and was able to hit the trails here and at the farm.
  • Summer:
    • I  traveled to see dear friends I haven't seen in years. Friends that my heart identifies as family. It was fantastic, and not to be traded for the world.
    • I spent a day in Missoula, the city that breaths life in my soul.
    • I ate huckleberries :)
    • I watched my best friend full of happiness and love as she got married. It was a beautiful ceremony.
    • I was able to travel to all these places to see friends for free because I won airline tickets in a raffle (yay!)
    • I tried something new and terrifying:  rowing (ultra beginner stage), and found I absolutely love the peace that being on the water brings. 
    • My niece (K) and I spent more time together; she is a ball of energy and makes the world better. She's hilarious, too. 
    • My garden, especially my tomatoes and cucumbers, grew like crazy.
  • Fall/Winter:
    • I visited Boston (for free, again) and drank in the history and beauty of that city, meeting new friends while doing it.
    • I cut 70-80% of the meat out of my diet. I feel better about my impact on the earth's resources in this respect.
    • I found out Twin Peaks is coming back for a Season 3, with all episodes being co-written by Lynch/Frost (the only way it can work!)
    • I was invited to a "surprise" wedding (the surprise being on us, the guests) by two of my favorite people. It was one of the best weddings I've ever attended.
    • I, with a couple of friends, lots of community members tried to bring something positive  to our city in the midst of unrest and pain.
    • I have a new fence that keeps my dog safely in the back yard. :)

So, what do I wish I'd done more of?
  • hiked, climbed, biked
  • cooked
  • created less trash
  • run (I couldn't, due to an injury.. hopefully I'll be able to this spring)
  • gotten at least 7 hour of sleep a night
  • made healthier choices
  • spent less money/saved more money
  • volunteered
  • planted sunflowers

No comments: